CGRP antagonists - anyone tried these drugs?

Hi All,

The calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) antagonists seem to have demonstrated quite impressive data in phase 3 clinical trials for migraine. Just wondering if anyone here has been involved in a clinical trial of a CGRP, and - if so - could speak to their experience?

Thanks,
Giles

Just a word of concern. These drugs are great and in fact I have have found great relief with Amitriptyline. But I’m concerned about the focus on migraine in MAV. I suspect that a healthy brain can reach a migrainous state if subjected to poor sensory information due to a peripheral not central issue. Maybe some people’s brains are more susceptible than others but my concern remains that we should be finding out what the root cause is, not papering over the cracks with medicine. My neorologist said to me at last visit I should consider titration off the meds after having had a period of stability. But I’ve since relapsed and I’m thinking ‘not a chance’ until the condition has properly stabilised.

Please let me know if you found any studies on cgrp that are recruiting, thanks!

Interesting info:

https://www.researchposters.com/Posters/AAOHNSF/AAO2016/SP313.pdf

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the new monoclonal antibody drugs for Vestibular migraine. How do you feel? Which one are you taking? Any side effects? I read there are very minimal side effects… and does it help with the non-headache symptoms of vestibular migraine such as disequilibrium, feelings of movement, tinnitus, stiff neck, photophobia and phonophobia?
Thank you.

Hi, I’m on Ajovy and have probably been on this for 5 months.

I have found a great improvement in headaches. I was already on pizotifen for a little over a year which helped me a great deal with vestibular symptoms such as head movement intolerance, floaty feeling, visual vertigo. I’m currently in the process of weaning off that to see if Ajovy holds strong. I have high hopes.

I have honestly had zero side effects with Ajovy. Not even skin irritation. Nothing. It’s actually great!

I still have mild symptoms most days, and have an issue with akinetopsia which I’m trying to figure out, but on the whole I’m ok.

Go for it, the meds of the future my neuro said.

1 Like

I’m not on the direct CGRP antagonists (the monthly injections) but instead on a receptor antagonist rescue med - Ubrelvy. It’s like night and day for me. I hope to never be without it again.

1 Like