Different kinds of dizziness

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to ask you guys if you could exactly describe your dizziness that you are feeling 24/7.
I have this weird tilting sensation, which feels like everything is leaning to the the left at all times. Iā€™m currently taking 30 mg of Celexa and it has helped the rocking sensation(walking on a boat feeling) somewhat, but I still feel that the world is tilting to the left at all times. It super frustratingā€¦Can anyone relate?? Is this part of my MAV? :frowning:

Emma

Hi Emma,
When my dizziness is bad it feels like Iā€™m feeling to the left also. To the point where I will be sitting in a chair and will be literally slumped over the left armrest and I will have no idea. Even on good days, when I walk Iā€™m constantly veering to the left. It is one of the many frustrating symptoms. I find it helps to pick a focal point and walk toward it. At least then my line is kind of straight!
Sarah

Very odd, I go to the left also. Most of my bruises are on the left side from stumbling into doorways and table tops etc.
I would be interesting to see how many people go to the left or right.

Yep - me too. I often feel like Iā€™m a dodgy shopping trolley - keep veering to the left. Feels like a pulling sensation. When I have really bad vertigo even when Iā€™m sitting it feels like Iā€™m falling forward and to the left.

Victoria

I ā€œtiltā€ to the right. I often find myself slump to the right without even knowing it. If I am walking with anyone and they are on my right side, I always walk into them. I donā€™t like to have anyone walk on my right side. I think it has to do with the trigeminal nerve. In The Migraine Brain by Dr. Carolyn Berstein she describes the trigeminal nerve, there are two of them, one on the right side of your head, one on the left side. She says during migraine, the nerve gets ā€œangryā€ and begins throbbing, but some of us never feel pain from this, just the imbalance, right or left. The nerve starts behind you ear and runs along side your face then splits into 3 branches, one up to your forhead, one straight ahead to your nose and one down to your jaw line. So if this nerve is throbbing and we feel the sensation of rocking, titling, moving. It a really good book to read, it explains what happens during migraine although it doesnā€™t mention MAV very often but talks of migraine itself.

I used to tilt to the left as well. I always felt like I was walking diagonally. I also used to feel like the floors and ceilings were tiltedā€¦like when I was stationary and looking up or looking down, everything was sloping. It was such a strange feeling. When I tried to describe this to my docs and physical therapistā€¦they just nodded there head and said ā€œā€¦ohā€¦okay.ā€

Mine is not so much of a tilt sensation as it is a sense of lightheadedness or general imbalance that increases with activity or movement. I usually describe it as being constantly buzzed, in a very unpleasant way. Sometimes when I am ling in bed I do have a sensation of being pulled down into the bed and my head is always heavy feeling like it needs support.

1 Like

I have no rocking or tilting. Mine is just a constant state of lightheadedness that pretty much goes away when sitting but comes right back with standing/walking. I canā€™t sit straight up either it has to be kind of a reclined position. I have never experienced the pulling sensation that most of you have been talking about & I donā€™t bump into things. Sometimes my legs do feel really weird (jelly like & weak) and there feels like there is stuff sloshing around in my head but that is not everyday.

It seems like everyone has a different variation of dizziness. For me, the best way to describe it is feeling like Iā€™m on a boat whenever I am walking. Sometimes ā€œthe boatā€ is rocking violently, and other times just rocking. Most of the times, these days, it is violent rocking. Sometimes when I walk I even feel like the floor is dropping and raising and I am being pushed to one side. All this gets worse in crowds (which I avoid now), small spaces, corridors. I also feel slight rocking when sitting at times, and inability to focus my eyes on anything.

Mine is more of a wavy sensation, plus my head feels like it weighs a TON. I feel better sitting with something behind my neck, I feel better driving a car.

When I had the crash it was the spinning but that is not what it is nowā€¦it is like jello in my head moving from side to side.

I could never figure out if the room was tilting to the left or if I was tilting to the right. Tiliting seems to be a common symptom of our dizziness.

I always try to articulate how Iā€™m feeling b/c my dizzy doctor wonā€™t let me use the word dizzyā€¦but I can never seem to find the right words to explain how Iā€™m feeling. My main feeling is ā€œheavy headedā€ā€¦and I feel a tingling sensation. I donā€™t like to move my head when Iā€™m dizzy. But things donā€™t seem to tilt or spin. Sometimes Iā€™ll feel like the floor is moving out from beneath me, but that is usually short lived and not very often. Mostly, I canā€™t explain how Iā€™m feeling. The words wonā€™t come.

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œLisa Rebeccaā€

I always try to articulate how Iā€™m feeling b/c my dizzy doctor wonā€™t let me use the word dizzyā€¦but I can never seem to find the right words to explain how Iā€™m feeling. My main feeling is ā€œheavy headedā€ā€¦and I feel a tingling sensation. I donā€™t like to move my head when Iā€™m dizzy. But things donā€™t seem to tilt or spin. Sometimes Iā€™ll feel like the floor is moving out from beneath me, but that is usually short lived and not very often. Mostly, I canā€™t explain how Iā€™m feeling. The words wonā€™t come.

ā€” End quote

When I first got this I would say dizzy or vertigo which after much discussion with my husband he told me that what I was explaining did not fit the main stream definition of any of those.

I have the heavy head that feels like jello sloshing around ā€¦I have what I now call spacial disorientation just off at times ā€¦that is why I now call it wavy because it is more like a wav sensation comes over my body and makes me feel unable to function.

Hi Guys,

Did this tilting sensation start right after you got MAV, or did it appear later on?

Emma

My head feeling is more like woozyā€¦my head feels very woozy, like I have had a drink or tow (I donā€™t drink anymore, but from what I remember :mrgreen: ) Another sensastion that I get is like my brain is playing bumper cars with my skull, it kind of rattles around in thereā€¦

Pam

What a wide variety of variation.

Just happened on the above which so reminded me of Me. My veer always went the other way but my slump went left too. Odd. The veering started as a breakthrough between me being episodic and chronic and when I mentioned it to my GP he said ā€˜thats your balance and thereā€™s nothing that we can do about thatā€™. This was years before I was diagnosed as MAV. I veered once earlier in the summer for first time in several years but still slump when the slightest bit tired or when relaxed and not consciously correcting it. Only notice it when I look left and realise how much closer I am to the armrest. VRT told me to ā€˜fix a point,ā€™ which is fine short-term but long term actually inhibits the balance mechanism. It also quickly becomes an unbreakable habit as I found out walking in open country with a huge featureless sky proves impossible. There is no focal point. Keeping a fixed point will eventually make head turning increasingly more problematic and in addition increase the veering off. Helen

Good to see this reanimated old thread!

Very interesting to see who has what type of ā€œdizziness,ā€ so we can all separate into our respective camps.

Mine is a 24/7 drowsiness and heaviness in the head, with lightheadedness (ā€œIā€™m going to pass out!ā€) ebbing and flowing alongside it. When the lightheadedness is bad, it is also a sort-of imbalance (ā€œIā€™m going to fall to one side!ā€). Underneath these feelings is a constant pressure inside the head and behind the eyes, a feeling of the inside of my head pushing to escape outwards! This ebbs and flows, along with the lightheadedness.

No spinning or rocking here. More the PPPD-type migraine symptoms.

2 Likes

Done forget this Topic in the Wiki

3 posts were split to a new topic: My doctor thinks I have VM, but Iā€™m not so sure.