Does anyone get headaches with Redbush/Rooibos tea?

Suspect its the tannins? Thoughts?

I only drink rooibos tea and no headaches thank goodness. Lord, I would be reduced to water only if I did!:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I only drink redbush and have for 5 yrs now, ive had no caffeine for 5yrs except for two weeks before my relapse I had a can of coke!

I think tannins can act the same as cafeines…so yeah I am only making fresh tea from ginger or mint

But in Holland most Rooibos tea are free of tannins!

Rooibos is indigenous to South Africa and has been drunk for generations before it became a widely acclaimed ‘health drink’. It is caffeine free and considered very low in tannins. I’ve never heard of it causing headaches, although I’ve heard of people saying it can upset the stomach if drunk in great quantities. Although I had to ‘learn’ to drink it, - it has been my main drink for years with no problem.
That being said - anyone can have a ‘bad’ reaction to just about anything! Just check that it is pure Rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) and not perhaps a mix with black tea? Out of interest, do you have a reaction to normal black/Ceylon tea, James?

2 Likes

Ah interesting. Thanks. Yes. Fresh tea. Very good plan.

1 Like

A bit late to the party but I too experience headaches after drinking rooibos tea. If I drink, say, 2 cups in a day, I’ll get a headache straight after the second cup. If I drink one cup a day, I’ll eventually get a headache later on.
It’s difficult to describe the headache. It’s different from tension headaches, seasonal headaches, flu headaches, etc. It’s not a bad headache, more annoying than anything else.

If I drink other teas, I don’t get headaches. So, I am stumped.

Yes most odd.

I’m actually ok now with Rooibos … drink cups and cups of it now, but then my entire condition has improved immensely.

Try my favourite, Spiced Ginger (with Liquorice) :slight_smile:

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Twinings Spiced Ginger Tea
More recommended teas here

James
Even decaf tea make my ears/ sinus pulsate and then i get terribly dizzy…i thought decaf was ok to drink?
Jo x

Doesn’t it still have 10% of the caffeine? ie some caffeine?

Decaf <> caffeine free

Redbush is caffeine free and so are all herbal teas, presumably. I would avoid decaf if it brings on symptoms.

Also be careful of confirmation bias?

It sure does. I always thought it was caffeine free but my Bruv who lives on very strict diet (not a MAVer) corrected this illusion long ago. Helen

1 Like

I still drink about 5 cups a day of decaf tea but notice within 30 mins my nose pulsates and i feel dizzy somewhat…i may cut it out altogether…i LOVE tea as well😣
Jo x

Yes, cut it out completely for time being and move to herbal and/or caffeine-free tea.

Roibos/Redbush is a great alternative as is the Spiced Ginger above.

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Where can i buy this James?
Jo x

This is just an example from Amazon (click it, but be aware it’s an affiliate link as are most such images on the site in order to support the cost of running it). In the UK you can get Rooibos from most supermarkets. I’m not so sure about the US.

Thanks james
Jo x

More options in UK especially, both of these I consume every day, they are excellent. Vanilla one is really nice on its own, standard Redbush really nice with food, especially breakfast, yum!:

| | | |
|—|—|—|—|
|||
| More recommended teas here|

I ordered some of these from amazon. Going to take 2-3 weeks. WHy is all the good stuff in UK? arrgh.

1 Like

You have the patience of a saint! :wink: that’s slow! :turtle:

Yeah, weird. Complain to Amazon US.

The US equivalents that are as close as possible are the Tick Tock brand, No guarantee that’s as good a recipe though…

| | | |
|—|—|—|—|
||
| More recommended teas here|