How far should I push myself ?

The title is a bit a rhetorical question but:
Since the onset of my symptoms in September/October some things are better. For example I couldnā€™t walk outside (in broad light)without being dizzy, having vision flashes. Since trying out the Heal your headache diet and one week on an SSRI, it is easier (even though I still feel dizziness / tremors in the neck when standing still, and have sleep vertigo).

Today I donā€™t know what took me, but after my PT session I felt optimistic and decidedā€¦ wait for itā€¦ To go to the MALL.

Needless to say that within 10 minutes inside I started to feel pressure in my head and pain and dizziness. I still felt so proud to have triedā€¦

Do you think this kind of experimentation aggravates our conditions or, at the contrary, trains our brain ? All experiences welcomed.

1 Like

I think the short answer is: as far as you can without precipitating a full on migraine. Thatā€™s how I handled it with my oto-neuro. Amitriptyline massively increased the threshold - only serious VRT at that point could give me a migraine (so I stopped VRT). Keeping yourself below the level that would precipitate a guaranteed migraine + exposing yourself to stimuli is best way forward to give yourself best chance of long-term improvement.

2 Likes

Hi James !
Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
How long on Ami do you feel your migraine threshold was increased ?

3-5 days! The full on multi-hour basilar-style migraines stopped dead after I started using it (my goodness that was SUCH a relief, they were BRUTAL!!)

Even better after 1 month on higher dose of 20mg.

2 Likes

To Push or Not to Push?

I agree with @gidlabu

1 Like

I might have overdone itā€¦ Been feeling dizzy afterwards even until now

1 Like

I am firmly in the camp of push as hard as you can handle. Itā€™s how Iā€™ve recovered from all of my bad periods with this condition.

The body and the brain grows in response to adversity, and degrades in conditions of comfort.

Unfortunately with the human body, thereā€™s not really such thing as an equilibrium (especially for us lol), itā€™s either growing or regressing.

Good going for pushing yourself to do something you felt uncomfortable about, thatā€™s the kind of attitude which will keep you growing and healing.

Best wishes!

3 Likes

Dizzy is ā€œfineā€ imho, youā€™ve not overstepped the limit I suspect. If youā€™ve provoked symptoms, thatā€™s probably a good thing. Iā€™m talking about full-on migraines. I think those might completely halt progress.

1 Like

Well done girl for going. Even if the least it provided you was a bit of confidence and a boost in self esteem. Take it easy in a mall, only aim for short periods of time. Too long for me (especially at Xmas) just makes my head all fuzzy and massive dizzy spells. Proud of you for getting there!!

2 Likes

Thanks all !!

Itā€™s a fine balance isnā€™t it. Some moments of the day I feel I can do things, some other days itā€™s impossibleā€¦ Weird to identify what are the factors. But Iā€™ll keep on trying to push.

2 Likes

Stay positive that you can do better each day. Good luck to you!

Take it slowly each day.

1 Like

Thanks dear. I have this kind of nature that whenever I feel slightly better, I push it and crash haha.
Last time (2 days ago) tried to use my computer (itā€™s my main trigger) and felt very ill (brightness was low, it was only a zoom meeting with friends)

I think you will find a very good thread on here headed up ā€˜Pacingā€™.

1 Like

Thank you Helen !! Pacing is exactly my struggle. 2021 Goals !!!

1 Like