How to feel LESS Spaced Out??

I have 2 main symptoms with my VM:

Constant Rocking: which is, for now, under control thanks to Klonopin (helps a lot!)

Constant Spaced Out/Foggy Head feeling: Itā€™s really weird, I feel like Iā€™m not 100% awake or aware. Iā€™m in a mental fog 24/7 and I hate it. makes me feel so dumb, slow and unproductive.

Can anyone relate to this symptom?
Does anyone has tips on how to alleviate the spaced out feeling?

2 Likes

Hi Edward. Think weā€™ve talked before and as I said then thereā€™s no one drug specific to MAV and although many drugs are trialled for prevention itā€™s not a case of one specific drug for any one specific symptom. Feeling ā€˜spaced outā€™ and ā€˜mental fogā€™ are just individual symptoms caused by the hypersensitivity that is MAV. Quite a common one at that. Iā€™d say once the preventative is really working it should in theory reduce the intensity of all symptoms. I appreciate sometimes people eventually need to add in further drugs to obtain maximum relief.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I meant, are there specific ā€œtechnicsā€ to help? Maybe mindfulness, reducing computer time, light exercise? Iā€™ll be trying all the ideas I have in mind but I thought I would ask if someone has some tips that are working for them.

2 Likes

Edward, I wish I knew the answer to your question! Living life in a heavy fog is one of the most distressing symptoms of this crazy health condition. As I recently told my primary care physician, I often feel stoned but not high. What helps me is to avoid noisy, brightly lit, crowded spaces as much as practical, and to make my home a quiet, peaceful refuge. Walking, particularly in nature, is sometimes helpful, but not always. The less my brain is stressed, the better I do. But some days nothing works. I wish I had a good answer because itā€™s scary.

3 Likes

I couldnt agree more with that quote
Jo

2 Likes

What do you mean by ā€˜spaced outā€™?

I mean that feeling of not being 100% HERE, not being 100% conscious. When your brain is very foggy and you dontā€™t feel sharp, alert or present.

1 Like

You guys/gals appear (by your typing) much more alert and less clouded than I am day to day. Jealousā€¦I can barely type sentences that mean anything or use correct verb tenses half the time. It is really pathetic. Cum Laude undergrad and MBA and feel like I am operating at a 10th grade level sometimes. 6.5 years inā€¦good times. I have managed to maintain my job, get promoted, etc. still but always wonder how different my relationships, job, etc. would have been over this time if MAV never happened.

2 Likes

Ha ha. Well sort of. When Iā€™m really acute I darenā€™t even look at a screen of any sort yet alone type but I only get brain fog these days during an acute attack or as a result of a severe reaction. Those times I can virtually lose the ability to think completely and even use incorrect words during speech. Think of one word but another similar one comes out my mouth. Brain fog just slows the mind down to a crawl. Currently I have massive hurricane strength brain fog so I type this with one finger and 28? gritted teeth. Btw in a former life I was an accredited 72 wpm touch typist who used to be a pace setter for typing speed trials. So donā€™t be too consumed with jealousy not in my part anyways. Helen

2 Likes

Chris, for me itā€™s episodic. At times my brain is fairly responsive ā€“ it takes more effort but with concentration I can manage to function at a reasonable level. Other times I canā€™t add 2+2, reread the same passage over and over again without comprehension, slur my words, struggle to process basic information . . . you get the picture. On those days I donā€™t bother trying to send a message, pay a bill or transact any business at all because it feels overwhelmingly difficult. For me the cognitive challenges are the scariest part of this whole ordeal. I worry about my future.

1 Like

Yeah I know how you feel. Iā€™m an engineer and its been difficult to workā€¦ I just try to be cool with it when it happens and do something that doesnā€™t require my brain as much, knowing that my brain will come back probably several hours later. Lately Iā€™ve found triptans work to abort some of the head pressure / foggy symptoms and I get my brain back quicker.

Couldnā€™t have said it better. And to top it off for me, I try to belly breathe and relax and I can make my head pressure / dizziness worse! It really is an amazingly awful condition that I wouldnā€™t wish on my worst enemy. Thankfully Iā€™m on the tail end of it.

3 Likes

Perhaps we should compare yourselves to computers. Brain Fog is what occurs when that irritating little circle that goes round and round appears on the screen to indicate thereā€™s just not enough power/capacity/speed to keep everything working. itā€™ll all come back up again. Rest a while and itā€™ll all come up again fully functional. Helen

2 Likes

What triptans do you use and do find any rebounding later after coming off?

Hey Chris, Iā€™m not noticing a rebound as I donā€™t use them that often. I use sumatriptan (imitrex). It seems 50mg works, I donā€™t notice any side effects.

Hi Edward,

I just joined the forum today so forgive me if Iā€™m late to answering your question. I myself experience this spaced out feeling as well. I describe it to my doctor as the feeling I get after being put on Valium before a surgical procedure. Itā€™s something called depersonalization or derealization. I notice I get this with some visual disturbances before the vertigo and such hits.

I havenā€™t found anything that relieves it just yet. It is a psychosomatic type of symptom though, made worse by stress and anxiety. I try to realign my thinking that this sensation although very annoying and somewhat disturbing, itā€™s not harmful. Therapy can also help with this, which Iā€™m considering to help to cope with all of these symptoms.

2 Likes

I think Brain Fog and Depersonalisation are very different. Personally I had Brain Fog on and off for years before I even realised what it was or even that it actually had a name. Its that being unable to think straight/as quickly as you usually do, that woolly headed feeling. Itā€™s like trying to think through treacle. If Brain Fog could affect fingers one would say ā€˜my fingers are all thumbs todayā€™. ā€˜Derealisationā€™ is like you arenā€™t looking at the Real World or only as a bystander, not actually being part of it at the time of looking. Of course itā€™s each a symptom of the condition. According to the attached link it relates to brain dysfunction somewhere along the line. An interesting phenomenon though, a lot of threads on here relating and possible hypothesis with this link.

https://www.thewaltoncentre.nhs.uk/uploadedfiles/leaflets/Migraine%20-%20A%20Comprehensive%20Guide.pdf

2 Likes

@edward Iā€™ve been doing some research online, came across someone on YouTube saying how they use a combination of lavender and peppermint essential oils and rub it on various parts of their head face and neck to help them feel more grounded when theyā€™re experiencing this sensation. Just thought Iā€™d share if youā€™d like to give that a try.

If you do decide to use essential oils, always dilute them before contact with your skin otherwise you can get a chemical burn. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Obviously your YouTuber isnā€™t subject to the hypersensitivity to smell I and many other MAVers suffer.

I find Iā€™m sensitive to certain smells, not all and itā€™s only when Iā€™m feeling really bad that day.

Oh Iā€™m totally hyper to smells. I could always smell somebody sucking a mint or a throat sweet in an open plan office. Iā€™ve a more sensitive nose than a police search dog. Outside in summer I can smell perfume on ladies driving past in their cars and no the house is well set back from the road behind a high hedge. Itā€™s incredible.

2 Likes