Intermittent Fasting: Transformational Technique | Cynthia Thurlow |...

BIG WARNING here: Risk factors for gastroesophageal reflux disease: the role of diet - PMC

referenced here: The Acid Reflux Diet: What Is It? | Good Food

“Our dietary habits may also make us more prone to the condition. An interesting study assessing diet suggests people who eat only one or two meals a day, or drink peppermint tea daily, or eat one big meal in the evening (rather than two smaller meals), may be at greater risk of developing the condition as they age. In addition to this, some experts believe that a condition known as a hiatus hernia may promote reflux.”

It seems that intermittent fasting is a risk factor in developing acid reflux disease (GERD) especially as you enter middle age.

I can personally attest to this as was successfully following an intermittent fasting regime, only to develop a TERRIBLE bout of Gastritis that seemed to develop over a period of 5 weeks.

I’ve immediately changed to 4 small meals a day as recommended by various health care professionals. For the time being I’ve cut out all the naughty GERD stuff.

Given the potential relationship between GERD and middle ear problems, I would be especially wary as a MAV sufferer!!

I could have told them that ten years ago but nobody asked.:grinning_face:. Small meals at regular times is often the answer I’ve found. And the best thing to do if you feel indigestion or reflux coming on us to eat something. Give the juices something to work on.

Ive half a dozen friends could testify to that one.

Fortunately I’ve always been relatively slim and never felt any necessity to fast though I’ve a strange feeling if I did I would soon pass out. And I’d certainly have indigestion or reflux in no time.

3 Likes

Indeed, small meals at regular times is effective. You need not to starve yourself and endure the feeling of dizziness. Besides, medicines are to be taken after meals so we really need to eat properly.

1 Like

Hi Recently I’ve completed a water fast for 5 days results below : During the fast I continued to take my medication of 30mg of amitryptaline and 25mg of Atenolol. I continued to take light exercise throughout (walking)

Day 1 OK until 10pm headpressure, no dizziness obvious hunger pangs.

Day 2 Increase in headpressure, dizziness and light headed, hunger pains and cramps.

Day 3 decrease in hunger decrease in headpressure some lightheaded feelings persist.

Day 4 no hunger, no stomach cramps but still a little lightheaded on standing to fast.

Day 5 no hunger or cravings mental clarity increase in energy no headache no dizziness no lightheadiness no headpressure kind of elated high feeling.

Blood pressure readings pre fast 150/92 end of fast 122/84 weight, 125kg down to 118kg obviously mostly waterloss I’ve regained 2Kg already..!

Since finishing the fast I haven’t had any dizziness or vertigo and no headaches ethier.(I’m sure however they will return had breaks in chronic pain before only for it to return with avengence as it does for so many of us)

Throughout the fast I took electrolytes (doctors advice) in powder form and some dissolved Himalayan Salt, drunk plenty of water.

All in all I would try it again if only to experience a break (for how long I don’t know) in my chronic MAV symptoms.

FYI I’m having another go at intermittent fasting despite the conflicting advice.

Actually there has been a pretty clear & quick improvement: I was waking up recently with pulsative tinnitus every morning. But having stopped eating completely by 4pm for two days I’ve woken up twice without it (I still have tinnitus but it is definitely less pronounced). For breakfast, in an effort to reduce carbs, I also substituted my big porridge bowl with a smaller one and had about half my usual portion and added a separate boiled egg.

It’s very early to call a success here but I can definitely notice a difference.

This is awesome! I’m glad you see the benefits!

And another interesting observation: I could almost always detect an increase in tinnitus when I clench my jaw.

I’m unable to do that this morning!