Jetlag/Flying Help

Hi all! Youā€™re all amazing.

Does anyone have any jetlag/long flight advice? (there didnā€™t seem to be any recent posts on the forum)

This is probably a bad idea but Iā€™m flying to Japan from San Diego September 5-20 (stop in Seattle for a few hours) with a good friend to see my cousinā€™s family over there. My concern is I will arrive and just have a really bad dizziness episode that wonā€™t leave me. I plan to talk with my new neurologist (Emily Engel at Scripps July 24) about this (I googled San Diego dizziness neurologist & sheā€™s the only one who listed dizziness in her bio) as my old neurologist had no advice. Maybe sheā€™ll recommend valium or something and I can try it before I go to see if it helps with attacks or if I can function on it (in the past when Iā€™ve taken stuff like that, it hasnā€™t helped but if I recall itā€™s fun).

I went to Burning Man (a desert festival in Nevada) 2 years ago & I had the same problem where after the first night I woke up and felt horribly dizzy and left (they tried a triptan shot on me and I think some motion sickness stuff but none of those emergency migraine/vertigo meds have ever helped me). Then again, I didnā€™t have a family memberā€™s home to take it easy in if I needed to, so I guess at the worst, if I get a bad attack in Japan, I can stay in my cousinā€™s home and deal with it as best as I can. My cousinā€™s wife (who is half-Japanese) said her family always goes on a little weekend trip the next day after they arrive to Japan (to deal with the jet lag) so thatā€™s our plan. If my dizziness isnā€™t horrible there, I also plan to try the bullet train, and if Iā€™m fine with that, maybe the underwater train as well (I havenā€™t been on a boat since 2014 and plan to avoid them but I assume an underwater train shouldnā€™t be an issue). I do know that bad dizziness attacks can last over a week for me where itā€™s hard to do anything & I have bad nausea, canā€™t eat much or vary foods (though Japanese food is easy on me) & feel like I got up from rolling a few times down a hill. A neurologist in the past has prescribed me Prochlorperazine Maleate 10 MG Tablet for nausea so I plan to try that before the trip as well to see if it helps.

I used to fly all the time but since the dizziness got worse, the biggest jetlag trip I did was LA to Baltimore and flying was not fun (I donā€™t think my dizziness got that much worse) but I think being with a friend in Japan and going somewhere new and exciting and seeing my cousinā€™s new wife/kids will help. To ease the jetlag for the Baltimore trip, I went to bed 20-30 minutes later each night until I was on Baltimore time which seemed to help. I guess I can do that for the Japan trip as I work from home, and then eventually right before I leave to Japan, Iā€™ll be waking up at 3pm and asleep at 6am my old time so that in Japan Iā€™m up at 7am (the only time thatā€™s an issue is my flight from San Diego to Seattle is at 735am but I can plan to go to sleep at 6am when Iā€™m at the airport and just go to sleep when Iā€™m on the flights). Maybe I should save the $ & not go, but my cousinā€™s family is only there until the Spring, I heard Japan is great in the Fall, it will be me and his kidā€™s birthdays when Iā€™m there, and if Iā€™m going to go in my life, itā€™d be nice to go when I have family there and a friend to go with me ļŠ, and if I feel horrible then I wasted $560ish & just stay at his place the whole time and fly back. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be able to at least eat stuff and get around somewhat and eventually get used to feeling horrible and hope it doesnā€™t continue when Iā€™m in the US or at least I seem to always adapt in time. I will be violating the Heal your Headache migraine diet a lot there because part of the reason Iā€™m going is to experience Japanese food (I donā€™t think the diet has helped me but onions or mushrooms may bother me but I feel like Iā€™ve accidentally had foods with them and havenā€™t noticed). Iā€™ll try my best to avoid the 6 Cs (aged cheese/yogurt, citrus/banana, caffeine/chocolate, cured meats, Chinese take away (aka msg), & chianti aka alcohol).

Currently, my dizziness is still as bad as itā€™s been. Iā€™ve had it bad since 2011 (I believe because of stress), and it was over a year after I lived in India so I donā€™t think the bad dizziness was from lots of long travel (although initially the dizziness may have started in 2005 from traveling but I think that was from parasites and the dizziness was not too bad back then). Iā€™m currently in the process of trying Rhodiola from Germany for dizziness for another 2.5 weeks and a Dexabion shot (last shot will be in a month or so). If those donā€™t work, I will likely try botox or a new combination of meds.

When I see my neurologist, I was thinking of also reducing and going off the Risperdal & DDVAP & maybe even the Lamictal I take (as I donā€™t think I need them anymore &/or in case thereā€™s any lingering or longterm side effects from taking them), but I assume I should wait to consider those changes until I see her and until after my trip.

Thanks yā€™all (and feel free to holler with any Japan advice!)

PS-Someone recommended these in an old post so I plan to get them
https://www.amazon.com/EarPlanes-Ear-Plugs-Pair-Pack/dp/B001HTWL8C
https://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Restful-Airplane-Accessories-Flights/dp/B00JIPG09S/ref=as_li_ss_il?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1537191516&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Memory+Foam+Neck+Pillow&psc=1&linkCode=li2&tag=merefieldtech-20&linkId=1c842c98e3c6a3c877f183720048bf83&language=en_US
I have noise cancelling headphones too so that should help

Yes, do we really need another flying Topic? The last one was not that long ago. Iā€™ve moved it over :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Flight Journey with MAV