Memory problems, brain fog, sharpness decline?

Wondering if anyone here has experienced memory problems or a slowness in your ability to think as a symptom of MAV? Did you have this BEFORE starting any meds? I’ve noticed memory problems and a slowness in thinking (as in, I am not as sharp as I usually am). I don’t think it it my med (a tricyclic antidepressant called Tofranil), although that med does make me more tired. Just curious if this is common with MAV folk and if you’ve found that it has gone away on its own or after being put on a med (and if so, which med)? I do know that some meds, like Topamax make cognitive problems even worse. Thanks.

YES, definitely. I’m not sure if I can blame meds, or the disease itself, or both, but I DO know I can blame at least one of them. I used to be a lot sharper before all this began - making quick decisions, calculations, etc. My spelling has deteriorated (in both English and my native language), so I use a dictionary quite a a bit more often these days.
That’s not to say that all my cognetive abilities are gone - on the days when I don’t feel too crappy, I can still manage to do (computer) programming, and a few months ago I studied maths online with pretty good success - but I did make a couple of stupid/sloppy mistakes every time.

Long story short: me feel more stoopid, yes. :mrgreen:

YES!!! For me, it is one of my more bothersome symptoms. I am a CPA and a business analyst, so mental sharpness is very important in my work. I have the same issues as Tranquility. The severity varies with my other symptoms. On my good days, the worst that happens is the wrong word will slip out of my mouth. I know when I do it, but I can’t seem to control it. On bad days, I have trouble writing a simple email without making mistakes and I can’t make a simple decision to save my life. This is all from the MAV. When I was on Topamax, the cognitive symptoms were much, much worse. :?

I have the same symptoms and I am not on any meds, just treat migraines. Similar fog feeling as to when I am pregnant. Can’t remember what i am doing, struggle for the right word and it has nothing to do with meds!

A BIG YES!! MAV has brought on cognitive issues especially around learning new things…even taking a test i’m slower. Retention is another issue. My mind and thought system is slower. Certain medications makes it worse. Brain Fog also makes things more difficult to function mentally.

Joe

Brain fog is definitely the worst of my symptons. My neuro doesn’t think its related to the migraines but I’m not so sure. Fortunately I’ve started to feel a little bit better lately. If the heavy brain fog returns I’m considering a second opinion with the neuro in Chicago that others have mentioned on this forum (assuming I can scrape together the required out of pocket $).

— Begin quote from “heritage”

Brain fog is definitely the worst of my symptons. My neuro doesn’t think its related to the migraines but I’m not so sure. Fortunately I’ve started to feel a little bit better lately. If the heavy brain fog returns I’m considering a second opinion with the neuro in Chicago that others have mentioned on this forum (assuming I can scrape together the required out of pocket $).

— End quote

From my own experience and what has been posted here, I think brain fog/cognitive issues are definitely an MAV symptom! I never had issues until I suddenly started getting MAV. However, this is not to say that is doesn’t have to do with balance/inner ear issues as well. MAV has a relationship to that obviously. Years ago when I had balance issues due to going on a cruise (boat), my main symptom was brain fog for over a month.

Now the good news is that my initial brain fog from the cruise (inability to concentrate, felt out of it) went away over time with no meds. The bad news is it looks like it is a symptom of MAV on its own, at least in terms of memory problems, not being “sharp”, etc. I don’t know if meds help with this symptom - need more people to post here about this specific part of the story so to speak. I do suspect that the body/mind does adjust/repair itself though in some form over time and I sure hope it does in this area, for hearing these similar problems scares me. My memory has been affected, I can’t multi-task, I am not as sharp, it takes me longer to think something through, I search for words or say the wrong one, etc. Like many of you, this is problematic in my occupation. I almost feel like I have a brain injury or something! Please tell me there is someone out there who has experienced or knows of someone who has gotten better in this area, with or without meds!

Best, Bonnie

— Begin quote from “bcrelief”

Please tell me there is someone out there who has experienced or knows of someone who has gotten better in this area, with or without meds!

— End quote

The cognetive issues are directly linked to dizziness (usually explained as “your brain wastes its time keeping you standing up” or similar) so if you get better in the MAV area, this will improve. I’ve heard people with ALL kinds of dizziness disorders complain about brain fog, so it’s not a migraine issue per se, but is rather caused by the brain being confused by weird signals from the inner ear - either because the signals are wrong, or because the brain is… (currently) faulty (as in a central problem like active migraine).

1 Like

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

— Begin quote from “bcrelief”

Please tell me there is someone out there who has experienced or knows of someone who has gotten better in this area, with or without meds!

— End quote

The cognetive issues are directly linked to dizziness (usually explained as “your brain wastes its time keeping you standing up” or similar) so if you get better in the MAV area, this will improve. I’ve heard people with ALL kinds of dizziness disorders complain about brain fog, so it’s not a migraine issue per se, but is rather caused by the brain being confused by weird signals from the inner ear - either because the signals are wrong, or because the brain is… (currently) faulty (as in a central problem like active migraine).

— End quote

Hi,
Yes, I’ve heard this. Problem is, my dizziness/off balance issues are quite minimal already (compared to others). However, I think you hit it when you noted the brain signals being confused. Maybe you don’t necessarily have to be really dizzy to have the cognitive problems? In other words, my brain signal are indeed messed up and thus, causing these problems?

Now let’s see, 2 + 2, oh, what’s that word… equals… OK, ok, 2 + 2 equals… Oh, I know that one, just give me a moment… four! Now why was I adding 2 + 2?

2 Likes

Thats one of the worse things for me; memory is troublesome

I study philosophy now and its damn hard to remember what I read. Im also a bit slower than I used to be :confused: But I was top of the game so I still get around lol.

Ive always prided myself with talent; but unfortunately theyve been stripped from me one by one.

Im not on any med and I think most mav-meds probably do make one think a bit slower. I would think most meds targeting the brain which dont have the specific effect of boosting mental powers probably are the opposite to some degree, whether it be antidepressants or anticonvulsants.

Tran, lol :lol:

Brian you must be on topamax. :mrgreen:
I also have Aphasia during a migraine, and yes reading , thinking , spelling, talking communication is a problem, when your migrianing every day, there’s no let up of the brainfog (Aphasia)

jen

Hi BC,

Yup, my memory is lousy when I’m migraining. Some days it really can be shocking. Two weekends ago, I jumped into a car for the first time in about a month to drive. For the life of me I couldn’t remember which side of the road I should be on in the underground garage I started out from. I grew up in Toronto and am now in Australia (different sides of the road) … just couldn’t work out which side and it freaked me out that things could be that bad.

Scott 8)

1 Like

— Begin quote from “MikaelHS”

Im not on any med and I think most mav-meds probably do make one think a bit slower. I would think most meds targeting the brain which dont have the specific effect of boosting mental powers probably are the opposite to some degree, whether it be antidepressants or anticonvulsants.

— End quote

I can honestly say that the brainfog started for me 5 years before the meds. Every time I was dizzy, I would experience brainfog, including an 18 month 24/7 dizzyspell. I was contimplating looking into disability and taking the big financial loss that would mean because I was having problems with just about everything. You heard the saying aobut not being able to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time? Well I was having problems doing either by themselves.

I still get hit with brainfog when I have a dizzyspell, but only then. If it was the meds causing the brainfog I would have expected the brainfog to have started after I started taking the meds, not before. Also, if it was the meds, I would expect the brainfog a little more often than just during dizzyspells. When you throw that in with the evidence that most dizzy conditions have brainfog as a symptom, I would tend to rule out the meds causing the brainfog.

I will have to admitt though that I have recently started having problems finding words in the middle of conversations, and that one I will blame on the meds, at least for now. :slight_smile:

Ok, it seems pretty clear that brain fog is a symptom of MAV on its own and one that most of us experience.

We also know that some meds can make brain fog worse. So the question next is: has anyone noticed an IMPROVEMENT in their brain fog (cognitive problems) since going on a med and if so, what med?

1 Like

Hello dizzies,
A suggestion for getting rid of the fatigue and brain fog:
My doctor who is a friend of mine and really cares about my becoming dumb added a tablet named Q10 plus to my meds, and you just can’t imagine how much better I feel. It both gives energy and, based on new researches, has a positive impact on controlling migraine.
I also take asetazolamide 10 days in a month, as mine gets worse with hormonal changes, and betahistin whenever I have an attack.
I used to be on Topiramat, and it was terrible. I am a lecturer and when I took that bloody pill I could not even talk in the class, and I felt like my students will doubt my qualifications. But Now I am really better.

2 Likes

haha, poor you :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I am new here. Been struggling with Migraines for yeas, the vertigo and other fun side effects started 3 months ago. Yey -_-

I went to a do yest, and he gave me a list of supplement to take for migrain prevention. Here they are, have a look:
Butterbur, 75 mgs
CoQ10
Vitamin D 5000 IU
Curcumin 95
Resveratol Synergy

Also, there is a book I just read on Headaches. Recommend everyone: Heal Your Headache 1-2-3

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Hi Liza,

Welcome. Do you have any tinnitus or hearing loss. Have you done any of the VENG, Caloric test and such ?
See if the supplements and migraine diet works for you. If it is still not working you can get on preventatives. Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline are good meds for starters will tolerable side effects.

Good luck !

1 Like

My question is, do these meds help with the new side effects? Feeling tired, dizzy spells, brain fog?
It feels as if my pain from headaches been substituted for these new side effects, like the migrain evolved.

Also, anyone tried the oxygen chamber? Where u breath 100% oxygen.

Would really appreciate on tips how to rehabilitate the vistibular system, and cognitive skills.

Thank u so much