Motion sickness without any motion - what do I have?

My question is - does anyone share these symptoms? How do I get a diagnosis?

Iā€™ve always suffered severe motion sickness. It is shared by my mother and my daughters. But in my 50s it got worse. Iā€™m now 69.

My motion sickness always involved my ears, brain and stomach. But in recent years my eyes became involved so that any task involving short eye focus would make me feel sick . Examples include sewing, using a photocopier, sorting papers, gardening, all sorts of things.

Walking on a bouncy castle, swimming, horse riding and all forms of transport are triggers. As are films of the sea or planes.

The other trigger is turning my head to the side or looking up, or behind me.

Symptoms are fullness in the ears, sensitive to sound, floating away from gravity, burping and feeling sick.

Helped by meds like Avomine, and the migraine anti sickness tablets.

Other health issues - hypothyroid, quite deaf, some brain fog, HBA1C in the prediabetes category, low B12, low vit D Iā€™ve addressed. Poor sleep but currently improving.

Lifestyle - I donā€™t do anything to trigger the sickness and can avoid becoming ill if I avoid transport (short train journeys are ok) . Fortunately walking is fine. Housework and gardening has to be limited.

The following are NOT an issue: no spinning, no spongy walking, no episodes without triggers from eyes and ears.

You are in distinguished company! Look up Charles Darwin. I think you both have overactive and hypersensitive inner ears, AKA endolymphatic hydrops, leading to ā€œpsychologicalā€ symptoms.

Thanks for your reply - I expect youā€™re right, as my ears have always given me problems.

You donā€™t have to look up Charles Darwin. Look up Jesus!
I think you have vertigo and endolymphatic hydrops.

Thanks for the reply. Isnā€™t vertigo spinning? I rarely have a spinning sensation or any balance problems.

Spinning is of inner ear origin, but contrary to popular opinion it does not follow that other types are not of aural origin. All types of dizziness and lightheadedness can still arise from the ear. C Darwin referred to his being giddy, but I have just discovered from his BMJ obituary that he had ā€˜vertigoā€™ (sic). In the BMJ then, vertigo meant auditory or labyrinthine vertigo.

You know something strange happen to me about 2014, my daughter was sliding the gate and I look up and was watching her and immediately I felt like I was moving, while sitting there in the carā€¦I was so scared I kept it to myselfā€¦couple times well I would be on the toilet seat and feel like I am floatingā€¦This thing we are experiencing is no jokeā€¦it is awfulā€¦and it is hard to explain to someone who do not know what we are going throughā€¦

1 Like