New here. Sensitive to meds any natural recommendations

Hi I’ve had vm and pppd for 18 months. Really struggling with this physically and mentally. I’m dizzy virtually 24/7 everyday. I’m generally very sensitive to any form of medication. I’ve tried propranolol and sumatriptan but can’t cope with the side effects and worsened the dizziness. Also found it took me months after trying meds to get back to where I was before I started them. I’m now reluctant to try any more meds incase they make me worse. Has anyone got any ideas on natural options or what lifestyle changes worked for you? I feel desperate and alone right now, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can recommend my functional neurologist. he has got me from being bedridden with vertigo/vomiting and nystagmus using brain and eye exercises to leading a relatively normal life

1 Like

That sounds great! I have only seen 2 ENTs so far so a neurologist might be what I need. Gives me a bit of hope to hear how well you are getting on now. Thanks for replying.

yes. you would need a functional one. They would normally be chiropractic doctor as well. I see him privately. not on the NHS

1 Like

Whereabouts is your neurologist based? I’m in Northumberland, north of Newcastle.

Could you please share more info or a website of this type of brain and eye exercise. I do eye exercise from a video I watched online, and it works for me. So your doctor must be on the right path for something that can really help us.

he practices in Stockport. He is called Andrew Jackson. He did a vestibular assessment using dark goggles ( I could see nothing, but he could see what happening with my eyes on a screen). He also did a Right Eye screening. My eyes when in the dark (ie with the goggles on) were constantly drifting to the left and my right pupil was a lot bigger than the left. from this he knew which eye exercises to give me to correct the drift. He also gave me numerous other brain exercises using laser specs/headband. The main one to begin with, consisted of lying on my back and focussing in a dot on the ceiling whilst turning my head to the left several times. he would then do jerking movements with his thumb to the right which I had to follow (saccades)…one exercise which is ongoing, consists of sitting on an exercise ball about 1.5 meters away from a cross of dots measuring 2 foot high and wide. each branch of the cross has about 7 dots. starting with focussing on one of the dots turn your head up and down and from side to side. do this to every dot in turn whilst keeping your face turned towards the centre of the cross. these are just one of many of the exercises.

I have been trying for months to find evidence that there is a general susceptibility to all drugs in migraine, so thanks for your post! Sacks makes a brief refence to this. The vestibular labyrinth is the body’s main sentinel against toxins, drugs and poisons, hence defensive vomiting. I think the underlying cause of VM is a hyperactive state of the inner ear, and intolerance to alcohol is a prime marker of this.

1 Like

Yes, this has been my belief. However, do we have objective evidence to support this?

(I may move this specific discussion to Research, Theories & Controversies👨‍🎓)

The theory that migraine is a labyrinthine reflex, ie triggered from the vestibular organs in the inner ear, and nothing to do with the brain, depends on a vast interlinked set of clinical data and arguments. Meniere had no objective evidence to support his observations and deductions, and there is no objective evidence for vertigo or headache. Much experimental data is uninterpretable due to failure to consider the possibility that it may be low, not high, inner ear pressure, or an overactive, not an underactive, vestibular system is the most harmful.

1 Like

It’s a very compelling theory. We need more empirical data and objectivity. It’s very frustrating!