Pins and needles/head burning, itching, crawling sensation

Just wondered if any other Mav’ers get this, for me this sensation, specifically on my head, started about 6 months before the imbalance. I think I remember reading the Dizzy Cook mentioned this as one of her VM symptoms. Quite often I’ll wake up with it in the morning and it comes and goes. I know pins and needles elsewhere are common with migraine but mine is specifically head related.

Did you hit search before posting?

Take a look at this Poll: Do you experience paresthesia / pins & needles? (Pre-Medication)

1 Like

I did look, but wondered if head sensations are a MAV symptom. I’ve had pins and needles constantly in my hands and feet for years, they’re annoying and I’ve never got a definitive answer from medics as to the cause. As I have Fibro, B12 deficiency and underactive thyroid it could be any or all of the above. The head ones only started Autumn 2021 though. Reading through the poll I could see numbness and parathesia mentioned in limbs but not on the head/scalp.

1 Like

i get a sensation that’s akin to hot needles or prickles, all over my body, head and face included. its an inter-ictal symptom and ive never experienced it while the migraine is actually present (rare occasion lately)

1 Like

I have all your listed diagnosis so maybe not helpful in parsing the responsible issues, but yes, I experience exactly what you’re describing. It’s just amazing what you can get used to.

2 Likes

I admit, I get this but usually in my arms, hands, shoulders and back. I often wondered if it was related to bad stomach problems as this really escalated when I had a long bout of chronic gastritis, but that’s gone now and has gone for some time. Perhaps it is also migraine related nowadays …

1 Like

definitely migraine related. similar to allodynia, notorious in migraine disorders

3 Likes

I get itchiness and like a crawling feeling on my scalp! Thought for years I was having allergic reactions to various products but it’s definitely part of my vestibular stuff. My husband has checked my scalp for me on many occasions and when it is really itchy, it also looks very red (I don’t scratch). There’s a case study in the HYH book that talks about itching on the head as a sign of migraine - that was the first thing for me that make me think it could be the same for me. I think for me there is a definite link to triggers - I had more chocolate than usual over Christmas and my head was incredibly itchy. Cutting out the chocolate again has stopped the itching. Sometimes I get a pins and needles type feeling on my head when I brush my hair as well. It’s a strange one!

1 Like

Mine started Autumn 2021, about 6 months before the MAV stuff started. I’d had an increase in Levothyroxine a couple of days before it started as I have underactive thyroid. I just assumed the prickling, itching and being stabbed by needles sensation was me reacting to the drug.

But coming off it, going back on it taking antihistamines made no difference. So clearly not a drug allergy. I still get it intermittently now, sometimes I wake up with it or get it during the day. Its a very odd, unpleasant sensation. But interesting that it seems to be MAV/VM related.

2 Likes

Interestingly I too take Levothyroxine (for Hashimotos) but had an itchy head way before that all started. My consultant thinks the Hashimotos was triggered by my initial and major vestibular episode - started a year after. I work in a primary school so an itchy head was a real concern when I first started itching - was sure it was nits! Ugh! Thankfully not!

1 Like

I take levothyroxine too but have since way before MAV became a thing in my life.

1 Like