Stationary objects moving?

Is this common for vertigo?

long story short i have had visual snow, afterimages etc for 8 years. Last week i had this ruminating thought of how scary it would be if things that i looked at began to move. Well here i am, its okay most of the time, but even as i write this looking at the tv, it is moving (drifting) in various directions, and if i look at my fireplace for any extended period it starts to drift rapidly south east in direction. Pretty unsettling to say the least.

Anyone experienced this? any helpful advice, i’ve been really depressed these last few days. thanks all.

It’s a feature of nystagmus, which is very common with VM. I often can’t see the forest for the trees - since they won’t sit still.

do you think this could be caused by severe stress?

in january i went through a similar patch, i was very dizzy and the room was spinning, it did subside back then.

Stress always amps up VM. Stress management is a very important part of dealing with VM in general and visual vertigo in particular.

The other components are meds, sleep hygiene, migraine diet, balancing electrolytes, regular moderate exercise, hydration, meditation/mindfulness, and trigger avoidance. It’s a full lifestyle with multiple components.

1 Like

by VM do you mean vestibular migraine?

i’m going back to the gym tommorow, and going to sort my lifestyle out, i’m just mentally f*cked from since i was really young, it like something else crops up atleast twice a year to really upset me. thank you for your comment and guidance

Yes. This is a vestibular migraine support site, generally for chronic cases. We sometimes get folks with other dizzy issues.

In the broadest sense yes. As @flutters says Stress is a main trigger. Some medics say it’s a main trigger. However stationery objects appearing to move, ‘oscillopsia’, and you will find many references here by using the Search facility is very common with all vestibular balance disorders not just VM. For it to suddenly appear or recur is an indication the vestibular system is more hypersensitive than usual so it’s been excessively triggered by something. That something could be stress. Could have been something else. As you experience visual snow and afterimaging obviously you happen to be particularly vision sensitive (I am the same) which is probably why your current increased sensitivity shows up in oscillopsia. That’s just the way it goes. Nothing to get depressed over really. Bit of a case of the Achilles Heel Syndrome.

‘Helpful Advice’. Without realising it you have already found your own short term solution by way of reducing the occurrence of this symptom. You write about looking at your fireplace for any extended period. That’s the easiest way to bring oscillopsia on. Allowing your eyes to idly - and that’s the key word - rest on one point overlong. To avoid the sensation, which is very unpleasant I know from my own experience, keep your eyes on the move more. If you have to focus on one point overlong you need to make sure you are concentrating on doing so and fully engaging your eye muscles.

1 Like

Whatever you are having or undergoing now, I wish you welness and recovery.