Walking on Foam or Bouncy House NOT Vertigo

Hello
So for the past 6 years I have experienced the strangest sensations. I have had every test known to man done lol and the doctors tell me Iā€™m fine. Again I have been to every type of doctor from all types of neurologist to cardiologist. I was diagnosed with Lyme/Bartonella/Babesia years ago when the symptoms first started but not sure if they are related. Was on meds for many years to treat that. Though one day out of the blue I had severe occipital pressure, severe brain fog, the feeling of not being connected to the ground, like walking on sponges, bouncy house. Only occurs when walking, car, bike sitting laying down absolutely normal with that sensation. No foot pain neuropathy, tingling numbness. Almost feels like a hangover no vertigo just unsteadiness in my head, yes the feeling is in my head not my surroundings. Can also feel like an elevator dropping that sensation Iā€™m a physical therapist and have tried every type of vestibular rehab. Balance is decent for my age. I Amy be missing something but has anyone experienced this???

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

Sorry, going to move your Topic as it is not unique on this subject, but as a personal intro it is.

These symptoms are well discussed, the main one is also called ā€œmarshmallow floorā€.

Using search you can find lots of existing discussion on this, and we prefer discussing things on existing Topics if at all possible, otherwise we just get a lot of unnecessary repetition.

Appreciate different people call the same thing by different names, so that makes the job of finding existing Topics more tricky, but appreciate if you would please.

Take a look at How to find relief from trampoline floor

Also take a look at both an ā€˜officialā€™ and user contributed to symptom list, here:Symptoms common to MAV & VM

Iā€™d argue that is Vertigo - Subjective Vertigo. Objective Vertigo being where the external surroundings appear to spin. Both are manifestations of Vertigo, that false sense of motion where none exists.

The ā€˜marshmallowā€™ floor aka ā€˜walking on foamā€™ very common symptom amongst vestibular order sufferers. Not just MAVers. I have a personal friend who had labyrinthitis maybe ten years ago and she went in experiencing this intermittently until quite recently. Iā€™ve always assumed it to be indicative of the brain taking too much notice of the balance messages it receives from the feet on account of the fact it has ceased to rely on the validity of messages from other more regular places.

VM is a strange animal. For ever changing its format. Might be worth getting checked out with a neuro-ontologist who may, or may not, be able to give you an up-to-date and more meaningful diagnosis than you were given years ago.

1 Like

This is surely just an invented concept used to explain something to the patient even though the doctor really had no evidence and itā€™s just dogma. Itā€™s just a name for a similar collection of symptoms thatā€™s fashionable in GP surgeries.

1 Like

This sensation I can definitely identify with I used to get it primarily when looking down it would sometimes make me put my hands out to steady myself.

I had this multiple times a few days ago. A bad day it was. Getting better now though. I agree, I think you need head back to a neuro-ontologist and get a realistic diagnosis so you can get on top of this. 6 years is a long time

I experience both of these, along with the dizziness inside of my head and feeling of a hangover. The occupital pressure is worst during convergence (mine is pretty far off normal) and also divergence. (Late entry: I meant to say orbital pressure. But i have occipital pressure and a feeling of dizziness at the base of my skull at times which is so bizarre).

Iā€™m going to PT for craniosacral therapy. Iā€™m also in the field, Iā€™m a physical therapist assistant.

Have you tried this?

Itā€™s more of an eastern medicine approach but Iā€™m open to anything. They use it for concussion patients and both therapists mentioned the symptoms can be similar, and in my case that is true. I really enjoy it, itā€™s pretty wild but extremely calming. Sometimes Iā€™m dizzy the day after and the 1st time i felt like i was going to fall off the table when i was completely stationary. (Late entry: After i wrote this, i had a really good session with so much ā€œunwindingā€ of my head, it actually cured my migraine. But because we did it for so long i was dizzy all night. Better today, but had to throw this warning out there. Iā€™m going to request much shorter sessions going forward).

I also learned there there has been research finding a connection between neck muscle spasms and activation of the vestibular system. So weā€™re working on some trigger point release. You have a very physical job taking care of others so this may be something to look into. Actually since doing the 3 major neck stretches multiple times a day for a couple weeks, Iā€™m sleeping much better. I used to tell myself i took care of my neck, but i really wasnā€™t very compliant.

Make sure to take care of yourself and agree that you should see an oto/neuro.

1 Like

I have had this since my vestibular something arrived with a vengeance in 2019. The spongey feeling lasted whilst my symptoms were chronic, then wasnā€™t as bad whilst I was managing things. Iā€™m in a bit of a rather long relapse at the moment and the sponginess is back. Brain fog is also something I struggle with - so frustrating sometimes. Feels like a good day if I remember my name :joy:

I used to feel like i was walking ā€œon a trampolineā€ is how i described it when my symptoms were at their worst.