What is the toughest symptom for you?

Hi All,

MAV presents a wide range of nasties. Just wondering what you guys find to be the worst one. For me itā€™s definitely the psychological junk that it brings. I feel like Iā€™m on an emotional rollercoaster most of the time. S

Scott, this is a great idea. I chose dizziness but the psychological stuff is a very, very close second. It will be interesting to see where this falls out. I hope you got some sleep last night! Ben

I picked Dizziness/dysequillibrium/vertigo although the anxiety/depression, etc. is a very, very close second. I really had to think this through. I realize if the dizziness/dysequillibrium/vertigo was gone then I would not have the anxiety/depression, etc. That is why I chose dizziness/dysequillibrium/vertigo. The same with the insomnia, if I wasnā€™t dizzy I wouldnā€™t be afraid to go to sleep. The same with the insomia, if I wasnā€™t dizzy I wouldnā€™t be afraid to go to sleep. Thankā€™s Scott.
Joan

Yes - the dizziness is a tough symptom because the longer you live with it, the worse I become, emotionally. One good day has me up there on cloud nine. Heaven forbid two successive good days, which makes it so much harder when the other MAV shoe kicks me in butt. In third place is the pain, when it comesā€¦which I seem to have grown into since I started (then quit) Verapamil. I donā€™t blame the medicationā€¦itā€™s just a progression.

But the worst symptom of all, for me, is the exhaustion. Iā€™ve described it as bone-crushing, aching, overwhelming, drainingā€¦etc. Itā€™s when your body can no longer scream at you. It moans and pleads to be horizontal. This symptom came about 2 months prior to my attack, to a much lesser degree, but still enough to be worrisome. That and my legs felt leaden. Itā€™s what sent me, originally, to my GP who drew bloodwork to check for autoimmune diseases. No dice there. Everything came back normal. In retrospect, until the attack, I had no idea just how bad exhaustion could be.

I voted dizziness, but the true answer is motion sickness/visual intolerance/nausea.

no doubt the dizziness

I voted for vertigo, but the insomnia is really bad, then of the exhaustion, body feels like I have run a marathon when I have just done couple of hours shopping.

Christine

The rocking feeling is much worse than just the general lightheadedness and visual overstimulation. Symptoms were controllable (to a degree) by lying down, sitting still or being in a low-light environment. Rocking, however, is not affected by those changes, and I find that feeling MUCH more disturbing (and incapacitating) than the older symptoms.

Itā€™s a tough thing to rank I know. If it werenā€™t for the dizziness, none of us would likely have much in the way of psychological issues going on. But for me, I think the pysch stuff is worse than the dizziness. The dizz is mostly low-level stuff but when it goes off itā€™s bad but luckily not for long any more. Itā€™s hard to believe I used to be pretty much the SAME every day in terms of mood before this BS arrived. Iā€™d have the odd day of feeling maybe a little low but hardly noticeable and nothing a few drinks at the pub with mates wouldnā€™t sort out. But now ā€¦ holy s**t batman, itā€™s a daily rollercoaster of ups and downs and freak outs and highs. Rarely do I have any middle ground unless I drug myself stupid. Iā€™d rather feel the highs and lows than nothing though.

S 8)

I voted ā€˜Vertigoā€™ but I take that to mean rocking and bouncing also - I would include those under ā€˜vertigoā€™. I didnā€™t see ā€œpoor concentrationā€ on there but that is a big issue for me with this - canā€™t remember stuff, canā€™t focus, feel very vague and out of it. All of those things are constant when Iā€™m in the depths of MAV. After that I would include the pyschological stuff which is really awful, but comes and goes.

I have TMJ and insomnia anyway - ie separate from MAV.

Cheers
Vic

When the vertigo had a hold on me, that was the worst symptom. However, a very close second was the brainfog and fatigue, which was much more persistent than the vertigo for me.

Hmm, I have to think about this one a while before voting. Itā€™s almost like asking, if you could eliminate ONE of the symptoms, which would it be and would it make you feel that much better? Iā€™m not sure. And for me, it varies. Plus throw in the meds you are taking and that scrambles the answer a bit.

On a side note, I am soon going to post about my appointment with the physician assistant. Went well overall I think, although I donā€™t have ā€œTHEā€ answer but still a plan of action for treating my migraine issues, and confirmed that we here know do indeed know a lot about migraine and treatment of them!

~Bonnie

Voted dizziness, but to me this manifests as extreme lightheadedness and foggyheadedness. Not sure how to describe that exactly, but that is the worst symptom I have.

I voted the Rocking Motion but if were you to have asked me 10+ years ago i would have said Vertigo. The Vertigo has calmed down significantly over the years. I also have lots of Tension inside my head so that is equally as bothersome as the Rocking Motion. My head never feels completely rested.

Joe

Originally I voted the dizziness/vertigo but I think I would change that to rocking or constant unsteadiness. For me the actual vertigo or ā€œroom spinningā€ does not happen as often as say a person with menieres. Instead I have a daily unsteadiness or ā€œdream-likeā€ feeling that never goes away. I can honestly say I rarely feel normal. As the day progresses the rocking eventually turns into a nasty headache. I just started the diet from ā€œHeal your Headcheā€ and am considering trying prescription drugs but I have always been hesitant. If my wife were to answer this survey She would probably vote my loss of libido which isnā€™t on the list anyway. I feel when one person has this affliction both people in the realtionship suffer. Good thing she is very supportave because I can imagine some people could not put up with someone who is stuck with the problem.

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)

Toughest for me is the rocking motion, and floor bouncing. All of these are usually associated with a mild dizziness. I can work, do things at home, and otherwise functionā€¦but this drives me crazy.
For some reason Iā€™m better at work. I donā€™t know why this is. Maybe because Iā€™m so busy?
Take care, everyone.
Janel

Vertigo is the worst, but thankfully, that doesnā€™t happen as often anymore. Now,I hate the neurological symtoms I get with a bad headaches. The other night I was transferring from the wheelchair trying to get into the bathrom. I was holding tightly onto the door frames and my legs would not move. I was getting very dizzy and I could not talk or let go of the door frames. I felt that if my grip finally gave way, I would fall like a board on the ceramic tile of the bathroom. Finally-always feels like a million years- I could whisper my husbandā€™s name and my service dog got my husband. He was only about 6 feet away but in another room. He was able to catch me before I fell. Honestly, I do not know what I would do without my husband. So many nights, I can not function at all. Better stop now before I start crying. Itā€™s been a hard month.

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

So sorry you are having such a woeful time. I really hope things pick up for you. At its worst (and you are clearly in that category) this condition is utterly miserable. Please know that we are all thinking of you.

Victoria

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œcaglennā€

Vertigo is the worst, but thankfully, that doesnā€™t happen as often anymore. Now,I hate the neurological symtoms I get with a bad headaches. The other night I was transferring from the wheelchair trying to get into the bathrom. I was holding tightly onto the door frames and my legs would not move. I was getting very dizzy and I could not talk or let go of the door frames. I felt that if my grip finally gave way, I would fall like a board on the ceramic tile of the bathroom. Finally-always feels like a million years- I could whisper my husbandā€™s name and my service dog got my husband. He was only about 6 feet away but in another room. He was able to catch me before I fell. Honestly, I do not know what I would do without my husband. So many nights, I can not function at all. Better stop now before I start crying. Itā€™s been a hard month.

Claudia

ā€” End quote

Claudia

I am so sorry you have had a hard month but I am glad you have a supportive husband who can be there for you. And for your service dog.

BTW it is okay to cry sometimes the release is helpful to me as there are times when there is nothing else to do and it helps.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayersā€¦hopefully better days will be ahead in the near future.

This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life. - Author Unknown

Timeless

ā€” Begin quote from ā€œstevenfā€

Originally I voted the dizziness/vertigo but I think I would change that to rocking or constant unsteadiness. For me the actual vertigo or ā€œroom spinningā€ does not happen as often as say a person with menieres. Instead I have a daily unsteadiness or ā€œdream-likeā€ feeling that never goes away. I can honestly say I rarely feel normal. As the day progresses the rocking eventually turns into a nasty headache. I just started the diet from ā€œHeal your Headcheā€ and am considering trying prescription drugs but I have always been hesitant. If my wife were to answer this survey She would probably vote my loss of libido which isnā€™t on the list anyway. I feel when one person has this affliction both people in the realtionship suffer. Good thing she is very supportave because I can imagine some people could not put up with someone who is stuck with the problem.

ā€” End quote

That would be an accurate description for what I was experiencing though the head pain wasnā€™t often an issue.