Your experience please?

Hi!!
Ive been a member of this forum for many years and a Migraine sufferer for the last 7. I have been on 3 daily preventatives, nortriptyline, Verapamil and Effexor for the last 7 years.
I would like to get off Verapamil but when I did (slowly and with Doc approval) A LOT of my symptoms came flooding back! I definitely feel I need 3 daily preventatives but not sure about which to add in as I decrease Verapamil.
The Doc suggested raising Effexor ( I have been on 75mg for 7 years), and have 37.5 mg pills that I can add in
OR
Atenolol at 25mg tablets to add in
Which have you all taken and worked
I know we all respond differently etc, but just want your thoughts!!

Thanks!!
Pam

I’d go with whatever your neuro says, but three different meds, let alone four, seems like a lot to me. Can you increase the ones you’re already on before introducing a new one? The more you add, the harder it becomes to recognize what’s helping and what’s hurting. And that’s before factoring in side effects. One thing to consider with the Effexor is that it’s an SNRI rather than an SSRI, and it works on an additional neurotransmitter (norepinephrine) at a higher dose. Norepinephrine is believed to affect energy and alertness, so if this is an issue for you with your symptoms then that may be desirable.

2 Likes