DNRS/neuroplasticity

Has anyone on here tried DNRS/ other neuroplasticity stuff. I’m a neuro student learning about neuroplasticity right now so learning about the mechanisms help me feel like this is something that could at least help- even though it sounds difficult. Share your experiences I would love to know!

Can you explain a bit more? What is DNRS?

1 Like

It stands for Dynamic Neural Retraining Program. I found it recently and it’s a neuroplasticity based program that essentially claims that it can retrain the brain to some extent in order to heal issues that are related to the limbic system (aka the thalamus, hypothalamus, etc. which is most of the stuff related to our flight or fight response and our senses). This program claims to really help, if not heal people, suffering with stuff like PPPD, MdDS, Fibromyaligia, Chemical Sensitivities, Postural Tachycardia, Anxiety, etc. The reason I’m very interested is that I’m a student studying neuroscience and am learning about brain plasticity right now and how plastic our brain really is. I’m between a diagnosis of PPPD (which is very limbic system based as it’s ruled by an endless cycle of anxiety) and MAV (which is more devoted to migraine systems, but those systems seem to occur a lot in the thalamus, a part of the limbic system). Finding something that does not require drugs and is based on real things that I am learning right now that are based on science really appeals to me. I’m considering starting it so I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences they could share.

Here is the website: https://retrainingthebrain.com/
It’s also possible to find some testimonials online of people with dizziness like ours who did it and found relief since websites for these types of things can sometimes seem like a big advertisement. A huge ad for something fake is something that I hope this program isn’t, but in my opinion it’s worth a try as the neuroplasticity principle it’s based on seems valid

I’ve yet to hear this mentioned by anybody on here so it seems unlikely anybody has tried it. At a brief glance it seems a combination of CBT, mindfulness (meditation) and various other bits some of which seem to owe much to Ecological Psychology (you’ll find a thread on here on that).

I’d be very wary of wasting money. People with any long-term condition are great sitting targets for fraudsters. As you are a student it might be worth perusing as part of your studies. Apart from that I’d think you would be better off getting a second medical opinion and obtaining a more accurate diagnosis. If you are experiencing MAV/VM I wouldn’t imagine this would control it. If you have PPPD maybe but I’d want far more detail before I parted with any cash.

I notice amongst the (extremely) long list of conditions it cures migraine, vertigo and dizziness are all absent.

I haven’t heard of anyone helped by this programme either.
I’ve heard a lot about brain plasticity, but my brain seems stuck in a rut, 24/7 dizziness for a year and a half already…
Interesting what you say about PPPD and MAV.

I recently come to think habituation is having a role here. I’ve found this in relation to my own postural stability in the six weeks since I started physio. Same principle as VRT uses. Poor posture, imbalance causes us to maladapt and the brain quickly accepts the result as the new norm. It then becomes ingrained behaviour. Somehow We have to break the cycle. The drugs won’t do it. Helen

The program claims to help the limbic system, which is described in the Heal Your Headache book as being very related to migraines and possibly MAV. The book says that migraine is affected, if not controlled, a large part by the hypothalamus, which is in the limbic system and by neurotransmitters controlled in that area (serotonin, etc.). These neurotransmitters and the limbic system are also related to depression and anxiety which many have with this condition. If this program does what it claims to do tto help heal the limbic system then it can also help anxiey and depression that is related to MAV, thus may be able to help in some way. Yes migraine is not there on the list but I looked at testimonials and someone who was helped from spontaneous MdDS, while other people were helped from dizziness and headaches even though they don’t necessarily say MAV. I even saw a video of someone just on YouTube with PPPD who was helped. I know this could all be a big ad (I really hope not), but I think Im going to give it a try and will get back to you guys!

Also, I will still be doing VRT and will be starting Effexor at the same time.

And how you gonna tell which one’s working on what?

1 Like

Are you advertising the programme for them?
My bullsh** radar has suddenly come on.
Edit: I would say watch out with giving these people your money, their description sounds like pseudoscience.

No I’m not advertising for them thats just cruel. Im just suffering and hopeless like the rest on here and wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it so they can tell me. Clearly, no one that has read my post has.

Don’t get upset. Lucy wasn’t meaning to be cruel. It’s just that such things have happened several times before and it’s not site policy. And do try to remember a lot of people have passed through this site over the years and moved on. If not fully recovered they’ve obviously gained sufficient control over The Beast to get on with their lives so it’s not quite as hopeless as at first it might seem.

Buy the book , save the money

1 Like

Not sure which book you’re referring to but in terms of sentiment I’m with you all the way. CBT and Ecological Psychology training is readily available on line and mostly for free. These Talking Therapies get good reviews with some conditions such as PTSD and depression but they aren’t gonna control migraine. I wonder that all this pseudo-science. Nobody knows exactly what causes migraine so how can they specify a particular brain area? All most of these therapies are doing is encouraging people to accept (no bad thing) their condition and talk themselves up in order to cope with it. After all there’s not much else they could offer. What else is there. Short of medication and whilst we await medical developments in stem cell technology, genetic engineering etc.

I take back what I said. “Wired for healing” is the book and it is crap as well. Limbic system can be activated by yoga and meditation and it is easier and cheaper to stick with that.

1 Like

Here’s the thread about the Rock Steady program that I had heard about some time ago. Don’t think we have any current members who have had positive results. Best advice I can give is to push yourself to keep busy, do the things that make you uncomfortable and keep doing them. It’s excruciating and scary at times but I believe the best way to heal the brain / body.

1 Like

I was going to comment on the same program. I did the seeking balance (I was granted a scholarship, didn’t pay for it). There are a few things that are interesting, but unfortunately, Joey kind of stays on the “acceptance” and other stuff that are at times a little too much for me and does not like to discuss symptoms and diagnoses (which I like but other people don’t like). BUT, a couple of good books that discuss these issues are the brain that changes itself and the brain’s way of healing, which talk about neuroplasticity and different exercises used to cure or reduce impact of symptoms. Meditation is a great tool for a lot of this. Look at Joey’s free materials, no need to pay for the program.

4 Likes

I was none too sure exactly what the ‘limbic system’ is, @AntofBlackpool seems the only recent poster to have mentioned it in any detail and he’s familiar with CBT.
https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/6-ways-the-limbic-system-impacts-physical-emotional-and-mental-health-0316197

Here’s a UK lady who seems to have picked up many of the CBT pointers by reading around her problems generally. And without spending a large amount of cash too.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-7746791/For-Liz-Wilde-shocking-violent-accident-series-traumatic-events.html

Yoga and meditation have helped me more than any of the many drugs that I have tried. They remind me to slow down, practice slow deep breathing when stressing, and not rush around and multitask like I used to be so good at. Can’t do that any longer or I end up in the fetal position for 2 days. Also avoid processed foods, MSG,artificial sweeteners, alcohol, coffee, high salt foods, loud busy gatherings, movie theaters,and concerts. Pretty boring but at least I am functional now after a few years of chronic vestibular migraines and Ménière’s disease. I have learned to accept my limitations and be grateful for the good things I have. I credit Yoga practice and mindfulness. Wishing you all some relief with this challenging disorder. :pray:

5 Likes