Hallucinations?!

Has anyone ever had hallucinations with their attacks - auditory and/or visual?
I’ve seen flashing lights, dots etc. but tonight I heard voices in my ear, got awful spins, and then started seeing flying bats and other scary things. It lasted maybe 5 mins but feels like I can still see things out of the corner of my eyes and I’m freaking out.
No new meds, nothing out of the ordinary, just a bad spell of attacks.
I have basilar migraines if that helps.

That sounds like an aura?

It was definitely part of the aura, total lasted a couple of hours but it was VERY disturbing. I’m used to seeing flashing lights, zig zags, dots etc. but when the things you see actually look like birds, bugs, snakes etc. it’s awful. And the voices, I kept jerking up thinking my kids were out of bed.
I did some reading and I guess you can get hallucinations as part of the aura (only some sites/articles mentioned it, not all).

— Begin quote from “shelly3257”

And the voices, I kept jerking up thinking my kids were out of bed.

— End quote

Sorry I had to chuckle at this, since it would mean that I am hallucinating too: I always think I hear some noise coming from my kids’ room (I have two girls age 3 and 5). Half the time it really is a sound, the other time I am just being overly diligent and imagining something. That’s just a parent thing, not a MAV thing.

As for seeing bats and stuff, probably that is just a primitive part of your brain trying to make sense of the strange stimuli from the MAV.

Have you done a recent MRI of the brain to make sure there is no stroke issue?

— Begin quote from “longshort”

— Begin quote from “shelly3257”

And the voices, I kept jerking up thinking my kids were out of bed.

— End quote

Sorry I had to chuckle at this, since it would mean that I am hallucinating too: I always think I hear some noise coming from my kids’ room (I have two girls age 3 and 5). Half the time it really is a sound, the other time I am just being overly diligent and imagining something. That’s just a parent thing, not a MAV thing.

As for seeing bats and stuff, probably that is just a primitive part of your brain trying to make sense of the strange stimuli from the MAV.

Have you done a recent MRI of the brain to make sure there is no stroke issue?

— End quote

Hahaha, no, I get the thing where you think you hear the kids. This was VERY distinct voices right in my ear saying, “Mom, Mom, get up!” and things like that.

My last MRI was less than a year ago and all clear. The neurologist said I didn’t even have any age related spots that are normally there. Every time I have one done, it’s clear. I do have basilar migraine so there is a slight stroke risk there. I have another appt. next month, I’ll see if she wants to redo it.

Both visual and auditory hallucinations can occur both with our condition and as a result of some of the drugs that are used to treat it. However they occur with other conditions too. I was fascinated to see this article relating to visual hallucinations with Charles Bonnet Syndrome.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9365135/A-Victorian-girl-visits-Jon-time-knows-shes-not-ghost.html

Just had to find out more about this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_release_hallucinations

We obviously don’t have CBS but the brains the same and these hallucinations are related to brain input/output that’s not functioning optimally. Could be reassuring to know ‘we’ aren’t the only ones to experience such things.

Pushing through side effects to get better

Getting somewhere,visual symptoms and a question

By the look of it, on here, spiders are a popular feature. All I’ve had, so far, is beautiful colours, either like stained glass in a church window or large bedsheets of colour on the move. And of course the occasional fleeting black bird shaped shadow a very common one I understand.

What a coincidence, I was just going on the forum now to search about visual hallucinations and this post popped up!
I’ve actually been feeling quite good these last few days but last night was a weird one!
I woke up several times during the night, and most of these times I could swear I saw a giant spider walking on the wall in the dark, getting closer to me every time I wake up.
It was pretty scary until I came to my senses and realized it’s not possible, there are no spiders that size in my country, and a few seconds (and eye-rubs) later it disappeared.
Was really wondering if it’s the Ami acting up or something else, so I went on the forum. Good to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Often good to discover you aren’t the only one. Reassuring. Certainly seems an Ami thing, the spiders. One wonders why. I’m not bothered about spiders as such though in the wee small hours I think I’d prefer a little girl in Victorian dress.

Visual hallucinations aren’t the only sort. I’ve come across auditory hallucinations reported with Ami too.
Other symptoms