Is there an issue with discoverability on this site?

I wonder if thereā€™s an issue with discoverability for the Support Wiki?

We recently had a member not seeing the Symptom List Topic and they felt there needed to be one (fair enough if there wasnā€™t one!)

However there was one, in Support Wiki :card_index_dividers: and itā€™s linked on the Welcome Topic.

this symptom Topic is the first of the list of contents in the Welcome topic which is sat above with a big doormat picture on Desktop so I think discoverability on the Desktop is ok?

On mobile, however, the Support Wiki :card_index_dividers: may need to be made more prominent on the site. It is a little buried once youā€™ve read the Welcome topic, although itā€™s available as a link on the hamburger menu as ā€œWelcomeā€.

Then again, perhaps once youā€™ve been ā€˜Welcomedā€™, you donā€™t think to revisit that since youā€™ve already been welcomed?

There are numerous important topics linked off Welcome.

Perhaps we just need to rename ā€œWelcomeā€, but it needs to work for new members as well as long-term members who may have forgotten its location and contents.

Also, on the mvertigo.org vestibular disorders support forum - mvertigo vestibular disorders support forum page, the Support Wiki :card_index_dividers: category often appears at the bottom because it rarely gets updated.

If anyone has suggestions on how better to improve discoverability on the site, please feel free to make suggestions.

I use the mobile site, where the welcome topic is hidden away - after tapping the ā€œhamburgerā€ icon it appears last on the list of topics that appear at the top of the menu. The most obvious point of attention on the mobile site is the large picture of a shopping basket leading to recommended products. I feel it would be helpful if the support wiki was given as much space, or that the products post was made part of the support wiki. You could then make that large image purely the support wiki for people to access all topics in the wiki rather than it being focused just on recommended products.

I tried various searches for symptoms but didnā€™t see that welcome post, which is why i didnā€™t realise there was one. Does the welcome post appear in search results? Maybe i just didnā€™t use the right search terms.

Youā€™re point about users not looking in the welcome section once youā€™ve been here awhile is accurate. I think the term "welcomeā€™ could be changed to something else.

1 Like

I find the site very difficult to navigate and would welcome an initial contents list that I could click.

1 Like

Hi Linnet, are you on Mobile?

I have wondered if this would be a better homepage, at least on Desktop?:

https://mvertigo.org/categories

You know what, Iā€™m going to set the default to Categories on Desktop for a while, whilst retaining the normal Latest view on mobile ā€¦ (which has less real-estate).

Update: done, refresh your browser. Any feedback welcome!

Thank you James. Iā€™m using a PC and I donā€™t get that splendid categories page and donā€™t understand why.
Linnet

1 Like

If you now refresh your page completely via the browser controls, you should now get it. Please confirm that works for you.

Iā€™ve essentially just changed the order of these:

The first one was Latest and was displayed when you first come to the site.

Now itā€™s Categories. You can still switch between them.

Did this sort itself out for you Linnet?

You might also need to modify this setting ā€œDefault Home Pageā€ in your preferences:

Thank you James
Linnet

1 Like