Seeking Balance/Rock-Steady Program

Absolutely not. Nothing like a new book. Bit disappointing though when you thought you’d made a new discovery only to find yourself pipped at the post. Nice that you thought to share it with others on here though anyway. Very educational reading and lots of people get comfort from it. I only read part of an article she wrote. I have a feeling it was an advertising feature and to read the rest I needn’t to commit to expenditure? The piece was well written and although it didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know I’m sure it would have expanded some people’s knowledge considerably. If you come upon a bit you find of particular interest perhaps we will end up in discussions Book Club style.

My copy of this also arrived a couple of days ago. I’ve occasionally watched her videos on YouTube. The material seems quite strong. But the price for the big course is absurd (over £1000!). In a Q&A somewhere on YouTube she was asked about the price, and her answer was pretty much that if people really wanted to heal, they’d be happy to pay that much. I also don’t entirely trust her image… of being shiny and lovely and endlessly encouraging. No one’s that nice. Anyway the book, at £15, was a safer investment! So far it’s quite good, but I’m only 10 pages in…!

3 Likes

Red flag? :triangular_flag_on_post: See my post above: Seeking Balance/Rock-Steady Program - #55 by turnitaround. The book price is your entry. Then she can up-sell to those with more money/willingness/belief. Smart lady …

Then again, good psychotherapy starts from ~£100 an hour from an experienced, qualified professional so pick your poison.

However has she done the groundwork to become a qualified psycho and/or physio therapist?

Anxiety might well be an exacerbator, so if therapy sessions can reduce that they may help.

I strongly believe the best VRT for MAV is literally a walk in the park which is free! (and comes with psychological bonuses too, and unlike VRT rarely precipitates migraines)

1 Like

Dave I love your style. And your cynicism does you credit. Absolutely love it. Well done. Though I guess if she’s receiving £1000 a time might be worth her working hard on her ‘niceness’. I haven’t researched the lady, is she some sort of professional? Or did she develop an interest as a sufferer. If the latter’s the case one or two of us on here were a bit slow on the uptake there.:grin:. Sounds like she’s acquired some good marketing skills along the way. Unfortunately some desperate folk will fork out. I just hope they aren’t disappointed.

1 Like

She’s a vestibular audiologist and neuroplasticity therapist

2 Likes

Well that’s something I guess!

What hurdle allows you to be called a “neuroplasticity therapist”. Is this governed by a government sanctioned professional body or is it a private company or association that hand out that gong?

How demanding is any certification?

1 Like

On her website she says she is a ‘neuroplasticity-focused scientist’. Not sure what that is but she holds two degrees one in Audiology and the other in Psychology from the University of Melbourne.

1 Like

Ok so she’s more qualified than me on the subject. It would be good to understand her professional accreditation.

1 Like

I have recently discovered she lives 15 minutes from me on the surf coast. I have been seeing a psychologist and she suggested her. A friend of hers no less. My psych says she very good.

I had already seen her on youtube interviewing clients that have done the course and no longer feel dizzy. I ordered her free resources and listened to her story and did her body scan … once. Which is basically just a relaxation meditation.

I read through her thorough terms and conditions… and she claims that her program is not designed to ‘cure’ anybody. And she’s very big on not having anyone post anything about symptoms on her fb page nor write anything negative. She deletes it.

The price, well over $2000 here, is outrageous. However you’re right, people feeling horrible for years would try anything.
There are scholarships - but I believe you still have to pay with that too??

I also do not know what a neuroplasicity therapist is either. Funny thing is, I am a psychology teacher and teach about this very thing all year. I know it… and understand the theory. I think it would take commitment to train your brain to ignore the symptoms.

It’s up my sleeve … if/when I need a mental state check. But too much $ for me (and others I would think). Especially when this illness has left me out of work with expensive doctor appointments as it is.

4 Likes

There are many more effective ways to make money than off dizzy people - I’m sure her heart is in the right place. More power to her I say.

1 Like

Hi everyone, just wondering whether anyone finished the book in the end? I’ve just started it. Like most, so far so good, but I am a bit sceptical. I usually lose trust the moment I feel someone is trying to rip me off, and her answer to the exorbitant course fees is something like ‘well if you don’t want to spend that money, then that’s just your value system’.

Also, I’m pretty sure there is no one secure/ reputable accrediting body representing you as a neuroplasticity therapist (I’m a psychotherapist, so know a little about accreditation). So this sounds like a made up title to me. She’s a vestibular audiologist, like the guy we went to see for our spinning chair and flashing lights tests. So she certainly knows a thing or two about the mechanics. Plus she says she’s suffered from vertigo herself, though I don’t know the details.

I read Norman doidge’s ‘the brains way of healing’ and found they very interesting - there’s an example of a man who is keeping his Parkinson’s symptoms at bay through daily walking practice. As long as he walks, his symptoms are under control, the moment he has a couple of weeks off due to injury, they return, until he resumes his practice. Would also love to hear thoughts on how something like this example of neuroplasticity working could tie in with our situations? I don’t really understand it

I didn’t need to see anyone to be convinced of that. Whilst off sick I spent 2.5 hours a day walking along the canal system of London. Multiple benefits. Great for combatting anxiety as a really pleasant distraction and the discomfort of walking is often best attacked head on. Also massively good VRT.

The brain exists as a correlation machine so totally relate to this. If you don’t train it it will get out of sync with reality. Use it or lose it.

The worst thing you can do with chronic vestibular conditions is stay in bed. Only do that if you are suffering a particularly bad migraine and have no choice, otherwise get up, get out and continue the fight!

2 Likes

As @turnitaround has already posted. Use It or lose it. I wouldn’t claim to offer an explanation but a few clues might just be …

Exercise, Deconditioning etc
The advice is, repeatedly, to walk as much as possible

Oh and I’ve a husband who does one hour exercises daily without fail for an arthritic hip joint which keep his symptoms totally under control so he can be on his feet walking and gardening all day if necessary. Three weeks off due to a hernia op and he was barely able to walk across the room. Not sure how much of that could be credited to neuroplasticity though. Very little I suspect.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Exercise, Deconditioning etc

I did Joeys 7 days and it was amazing really helped me, opened a new way of thinking for me.

Use the Search facility. There are many threads discussing PPPD. To introduce it here is going off Topic. Thx. We’ve edited your post.

1 Like

Welcome! Thanks for the feedback. Please consider introducing yourself in #im-new-let-me-introduce-myself